Students participate in activities to give back

Each week there are activities on campus offering students free t-shirts or other memorabilia, but earlier this week students were given the opportunity to participate in events with no tangible benefit to themselves.

On Tuesday, Jan 28., the Community Blood Drive Center came to campus, giving students the chance to give blood. From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. students visited Connor Ballroom on the third floor of Billingsly Student Center.

The Community Blood Drive Center issued a Code Red Alert for blood donations in early Jan., meaning they are at a high need for donations. According to Karen Ringler, supervisor at the Joplin location of Community Blood Drive Center, the center collected 25 units out of the 26 students who registered.

“Almost everyone was able to donate, which is really a wonderful thing with cold and flu season most students are not feeling well or on antibiotics,” said Ringler. “We are just tickled to death people showed up and were able to give.”

One group on campus that attended the blood drive event together were the Kappa Alpha Fraternity brothers.

“Well being a member of Kappa Alpha, we always want to give back to people that are in need,” said Evan Moore, senior criminal justice major. “Just doing this little service gives us a great feeling knowing that a part of us may save someone’s life.”

For Wellness Wedensday on Jan. 29., sophomore business marketing major, Kierstyn Hillman was one of the students made valentines for the elderly.

“ I like to be active on campus,” said Hillman. “It makes me feel good that the elderly are going to get something and feel some love too.”