Students gather in Phelps to see U.S. face Czech Republic

Terri-Lynn Frasher

Dustin Foster, a sophmore education major, left, and Dalton Lester, a sophmore health and wellness promotions major, root for the US Olympic hockey team, during a live showing in the Phleps Theater on Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2014.

Once again, the Olympic craze has swept the nation; winter sports are on television, on the radio and in the papers. If sports fans want to keep up with the action during a busy day, there are even apps to download. But Missouri Southern students can avoid the hassle of downloading or channel surfing, and simply go to Billingsly Student Center to watch the action live on the silver screen.

Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., the Campus Activity Board broadcast the hockey game between USA and the Czech Republic in Phelps Theater. Free candy and popcorn was offered to the students in attendance.

Friends Dustin Foster, a sophomore education major, Casey Blevins a junior health promotion and wellness major, and Dalton Lester, a sophomore health and wellness promotions major, all skipped class to watch the game. Foster said he has been trying to keep up with the games as much as possible.

“I’ve been trying to stay up late and watch it. I even downloaded the app to keep up with it more,” Foster said.

Raymond Page a junior criminal justice major, has been following the Olympics for the snowboarding and hockey. He had been working out in the Beimdiek Student Recreation Center when he stumbled upon the event.

“I didn’t even know the game was going on. I smelled the popcorn and came in and the game was on, I was like, hey,” he said.

Brittany Lampe, a senior secondary education and biology major who works with the CAB office, is an avid hockey fan. She was happy to see her team doing so well.

“We are winning. There have been some good shots,” she said.

The Game

The game started off with two quick scores. The first goal went to the US when Ryan Kesler assisted James Van Reimsdyk just a minute and a half into the game.

The Czech Republic quickly equalized in the fourth minute when Ales Hemsky found the back of the net with an unassisted goal.

The game wouldn’t stay tied long as a beautiful cross-rink pass from Ryan Suter found Dustin Brown, who scored with ease.

This was quickly followed by a rebound goal by David Backes and Team USA ended the first period with three goals.

Backes is a familiar name in this part of the country, as he is a star player for the NHL’s St. Louis Blues.

The Czech Republic couldn’t find an answer for Team USA’s outstanding attack play for the remainder of the day. The United States added one goal courtesy of Zach Parise on a power play in the second period and scored its fifth goal of the game in the third. 

Team USA will face defending gold medalist team, Canada, today in a semi-final match at 4:00 p.m. and will be aired on KSNF-TV.