Q&A with Mollie Sanders

Mollie Sanders, junior theatre major, has been acting since high school. Having done performances at Joplin Little Theater and Missouri Southern, she will be playing the role of Kitty in Southern Theatre’s upcoming production of The Drowsy Chaperone.

When did you first take interest in theater?

Since I heard what theater was, so very young. My parents exposed me to it at a really young age.  My grandparents did, too. They took me to see shows at Joplin Little Theatre and Stain Glass Theatre and stuff. I grew up with old musicals and films, so I’ve always had a big interest in it.

How long have you been acting and what are some of the performances you have been in?

I’ve been acting since high school really. I did a lot of stuff at Joplin High School, and then I just continued on here. I’ve done some work at JLT also. I’ve just been wherever I can.

What is your favorite role that you have played, and why?

Oh, that’s hard. I was in a production of Godspell at Joplin Little Theatre. I played the role of Judas, which is traditionally played by a man, but we didn’t have enough guys audition, so I was cast in it, and it was really fun. It was a good character study, and a lot of good times were had.

What is it like to play the role of Kitty in the upcoming production of The Drowsy Chaperone?

It’s different, because I’m just somebody who is very calm, cool and collected most of the time, and so playing somebody who is really loud and out there it’s fun. It’s a nice little escape from the normal Mollie.

What are some of techniques you use to get into character?

Really, I just give it as much energy as I can. I warm up right before with a lot of big sound, big motion type warm ups, getting into my voice and everything that way.

What first inspired you to audition for The Drowsy Chaperone?

Well, I was in a production of it at high school in Joplin, it was the last show I did there, and it was right before the tornado, so it was the last show performed on that stage, and hearing that we did it again really meant a lot to me then, and it means a lot to me now to.

Do you ever feel nervous when you go into an audition?

Oh, yeah, I still get nervous. I’ve auditioned plenty of times for things, so I still get the butterflies and everything.

Have you ever had a bad audition in the past?

I don’t think so. I’ve never considered an audition a bad one. I just consider them all different experiences, really.

What kind of roles do you most like to portray on stage?

I like the bigger roles that are more out there, as characters. Like I said, I’m such a small, quiet person naturally. Being able to open up more on stage is always a lot of fun. 

What role would you most like to play?

Oh, that’s hard.  I’m a big fan of Steven Sondheim as a composer and as a writer. Any of his female characters. I think he always develops very strong, female roles. Any of his would always be wonderful. 

Who are some of your favorite actors/actresses, on stage or in film?

Actor wise, I’m a big fan of Philip Seymour Hoffman. You know he just recently passed away, and that was really sad for me. I’ve never been upset for a celebrity dying. He was one. Anne Hathaway, Meryl Streep. A lot of those who go on to do the serious and comedic roles both. 

Where do you draw your inspiration from?

I draw my inspiration from a lot of different places, a lot of different actors.  My biggest inspiration as a child was Carol Burnett. I watched the Carol Burnett Show with my parents a lot, and I saw her and she was really the one that was like, this is what I want to do.  I want to have fun like she’s having on stage.

What do you like to do in your down time?

What down time? I don’t have much. Really, sleep. That’s my biggest down time. When I get the opportunity to actually lie down and relax, and not worry about things, I’m a happy person.