Winter storm Nika causes campus cancellations

Joshua Boley/The Chart

The snowday of Feb. 5 gives Southen the illusion of a ghost town.

On Tuesday, Feb. 4, Missouri Southern canceled classes and activities because of the severe winter weather forecast.

The snow did not start until after noon, but, as predicted, a layer of snow would blanket the campus and surrounding counties by the end of the day.

Late Tuesday night, after several local school districts reported their closings, Missouri Southern officials announced the cancellation of the University and its activities for Wednesday, Feb. 5. Previously, Southern had announced via Facebook that classes would resume on Wednesday.

This unleashed a storm of its own, negative comments from commuters and other upset, angry students complaining about the dangerous and icy conditions.

In a turn-around, Southern posted on its Facebook page later Tuesday night, “Heads up Lions — we’ve been watching the weather closely, and the freezing drizzle from this past hour is expected to lead to worsening road conditions tonight. All classes and events will be cancelled for Wednesday. Keep yourselves safe tomorrow!”

That status received over 380 likes and multiple comments from students thankful for the snow day.

One student, Treicia Rose, wrote, “Thank you for doing this! Now I can take care of my son without worrying about missing class.”

University Marketing, which operates the Missouri Southern State University Facebook page, deleted its previous post saying the University would most likely have school, but in response to the new post, student Raymond Page commented, “I KNEW IT!!! #Democracy Prevailed!!! Thank you Jesus!!”

Due to the lingering effects of the winter weather, notably the bitter cold, the University notified students, faculty, and staff there would be no classes or activities Thursday, Feb. 6.