Piano instructor performs faculty recital

Jesse O. Wallls/The Chart

Stacey Barelos, assistant professor of music, piano and music theory, is inspired by the composers she performs. Her recital will include works by Brahams and Erik Satie, as well as a composition she wrote

The music department will host a faculty piano recital by Stacey Barelos, assistant professor of music, piano and music theory, on Thursday, March 13, at 7:30 p.m. in Corley Auditorium.

“I think she’s brilliant,” said Jim Lile, associate professor of theatre. “She’s a complete artist and a total pro and so it’s a lot of fun to work with her.”

Lile, who will perform with Barelos on a selection by Erik Satie called “Dried Embryos,” will read comments and statements Satie had written in his score.

“It’s an added sort of layer to what’s going on,” said Lile, “because the music itself is really a lot of fun and interesting, and then you add these statements in a spoken voice along with that. It’s just kind of an all-around experience of the music.”

The performance will consist of repertoire from composers such as Brahms, Hannibal and Satie, as well as one of Barelos’ own works.

“I primarily write for piano,” she said. “My first CD has a solo piano piece, but I’ve also written orchestra music.”

Having received her doctor of musical arts degree at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Barelos has recorded two albums. Her first CD, The Midwest American Piano Project, was released in 2008 and includes a solo piano piece composed by her.

“This was my first CD … and it’s living composers with ties to the Midwest,” she said.

Her second CD, released in 2011, was a collection of works by the American composer Henry Cowell.

“I have two projects in the works,” said Barelos, “one CD of music by women composers and another by composers from South America.”

Inspired by the composers she plays, such as Cowell, Satie and John Cage, Barelos prefers composers from the twentieth century or more modern repertoire.

“In general I like these composers because they have a bit of humor in what they do,” said Barelos, “and I think that’s important.”

The recital is free and open to the public.