Snow days cause schedule havoc

Joshua Boley

Freshman Southern baseball player Carlos Guaderrama scrapes the hard ice off his truck so he can make it to practice at PlayMakers.

Missouri Southern cancelled classes again Monday as ice and snow again gripped the region. As this winter continues on, it seems as if Missouri is in the mouth of Old Man Winter.

With plenty of ups and downs in the temperature, KY3 storm team in Springfield reports 29 inches of snowfall already this winter, almost seven inches above the average for this time of year.

With the excessive snow, public schools have had to push back the final day of the year, causing parents to change summer travel plans.

Some colleges are even having to make up for lost class time.

Missouri Southern moved the senior assessment day to a weekend instead of giving the day off to underclassmen.

Andy Phillips, undeclared freshman, said, “Having the snow days are fun and all, but having mostly upper division courses, I still have much of my work still due. It’s simply due online instead of in class.”

A respiratory therapy student, Kayla Smith, said, “Even though MOSO gets a day off from class, I’m still having to get up at five in the morning to scrape my car off for clinicals at Freeman. It’s not fair.”

Many students are getting frustrated with the lost class time, and it is causing many professors to fall behind in their curriculum.

Shanna Slavings, assistant professor of communication, explains how. “Because of the missed class time, I am forced to rearrange my entire syllabus for the semester.” She added, “There is simply not enough time for all the assignments.”