MOSO artists earn recognition

Terri-Lynn Frasher/The Chart

Sandra Conrad, a senior studio art major, stands with her first place winning entry in the 37 Prime competition at Spiva Art Gallery on Tuesday, April 15.

The Spiva Art Gallery on campus was host to the reception and awards for 37 Prime Juried Exhibition of Student Work on Tuesday. Refreshments were served as students mingled with their friends, family and faculty, waiting to see who took home the evening’s awards.

The 32 students entered in the competition displayed 96 art pieces.

The categories were two-dimensional and three-dimensional art, with cash awards going to the top three entries in each category and an overall prize for best in show.

The event’s best in show honor went to Devin Baumann, a senior studio art major, for her 3D piece.

“This will be going up in my house,” Baumann said.

The event was sponsored by Focal Point Student Art Club. Senior art studio major Jade Henning, the second place winner in two-dimensional category, is head of the club and helped plan the event.

“I would have to say this is probably one of our best shows this year,” Henning said.

Burt Bucher, art department director, said the event helps inspire the students to see the good they are doing.

“Getting it [their work] out there like this allows them to really see how it looks on a gallery wall. First off, when you look at it on your kitchen table or sitting on a dirty floor, it doesn’t really have the resonance as it has when it gets in a professional setting,” Bucher said.

In the two-dimensional category, winners were Sandra Conrad, senior studio art major, first place; Jade Henning, senior studio art major, second place; and Taylor Kubicek, junior graphic design major, third place. Three-dimensional category winners were Richard Tran, senior studio art major, first place; Garrett Baugher, senior sculpture and ceramics major, second place; and third place; Dr. Nanette Philibert, an instructor in the business department.