Senior vocalist prepares to train others after graduation

Samantha Zolanski

Senior vocal education major Rachel Barlett performs at hersenior recital on April 14 in the Corley Auditorium.

Rachel Barlett, grew up singing in church and this is what ignited her passion for song. She sang her first solo performance at 20 months old and has been singing ever since. Barlett completed her senior recital on April 14.

Her recital included a German set of music, pieces from Les Miserables and she ended with the famous song “I Dreamed a Dream.”

Barlett is a Joplin native and graduated from Church of Life Christian School at 16 years of age. Her high school curriculum was set up in a way that allowed each individual student to work at their own pace. This gives them the opportunity to graduate earlier than they might in a public school setting.

After high school Barlett took some time off and came to Missouri Southern as a non-traditional student in 2010. Barlett will graduate in December of this year with a Bachelor of Science in vocal education.

She aspires to be a middle school choir teacher after receiving her degree.

“I was in honor choir in 5th grade, and that was super amazing, I just love it,” she said. “That’s when I fell in love, and thought ‘I want to do this, I want to be a teacher.’”

Professor Lawrence Stotsbery, who no longer teaches at Missouri Southern, has been Barlett’s biggest influence while pursuing her degree in music.

“He was my voice teacher for the first three and a half years here. We would never have a lesson before he asked me how I was doing,” she said. “The fact that he took the time to really get to know me through music and develop my voice to where it is now, I am really appreciative of that.”

Barlett says her time at Missouri Southern has provided her with a lot of friendships.

“Because we’re music students we have almost every class together. We have bonfires in my back yard all the time. It’s a little tight knit group but it’s nice.”

Barlett will begin her final stretch to graduation this fall, when she starts her student teaching.

“I have always loved singing and really related to music, so I am looking forward to being in a classroom. It seems much more exciting to teach the things that I know, and to get to know kids,” she said.