Students perform musical, opera scenes

Kjersti McDonald/The Chart

(From left to right) Dyanne Lile, senior vocal performance major, Seth Gripka, freshman vocal music education major, and Trey Burkhart, senior music industry major, rehearse a piece from Don Giovanni with assistant professor of music Jordan Wilson (right) on Wednesday, April 22, in Corley Auditorium.

Students from Dr. Jordan Wilson’s opera workshop will give a performance Tuesday, April 28, in Corley Auditorium. The program, a combination of opera scenes and musical theater, each lasting no longer than ten minutes, will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Wilson, an assistant professor of music, offered the opera workshop for the first time this semester.

“There’s a really great mix of funny and dark,” he said. “It’s all scenes rather than one giant production, so it should be digestible for people that are not interested in going to a two-and-a-half hour opera but just want a little taste of some of the great stuff that there is within opera.”

The musical theater scenes include excerpts from The King and I, West Side Story and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Opera scenes will include The Old Maid and the Thief, The Medium and Don Giovanni. Performers will explain each scene throughout the presentation.

“There are a few of the scenes that are especially funny that I think are going to come across really well, that are really approachable from the audiences point of view,” Wilson said. “Even though some of these are very old, they speak to genuine human emotions that are timeless.”

The opera workshop is not a typical full-dress performance with full costumes and sets. The performers will take a more minimalist approach, wearing mostly black with a few costume pieces to go along with specific scenes.