Festival of New Drama features student works

Southern Theatre Department students will present the 2015 Festival of New Drama, which gives them the opportunity to gain experience writing and directing plays. The festival will take place Monday, April 27 through Saturday, May 2. The students’ plays will be performed at 7:30 p.m. each day in the Bud Walton Black Box Theatre.

The event, which takes place every other year, will feature 11 student directors. An estimated 25 to 30 students are also involved as actors and technicians.

“I get excited about the students’ new drama that they create in class,” said Timothy Klein, associate professor of acting and directing. “This year, we have swapped plays. You write a play and direct your partner’s play.”

In 2008, Klein created the format in which students wrote and directed their own plays. This is the first year writers have swapped plays to direct.

Faculty, staff and students may reserve free tickets by calling or going by the box office; for these performances, free tickets may not be reserved online. The box office hours are 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. It can be reached at 417-625-3190.

General admission will be $3 for adults and senior citizens and high school students can get in for $1. For audience comfort and security, children under five will not be admitted.