Study Abroad Fair opens eyes to global opportunities

Quinten Sargent

Students talk with representatives responsible for giving out information on the 2017 internships on the island provences of Bali, Indonesia and Cebu, Philippines during the Institue of International Studies’ study abroad fair, on Nov. 9, 2016 in the Billingsly Student Center’s Connor Ballroom. 

The Institute of International Studies held a study abroad fair on Wednesday, Nov. 9, featuring about 30 study abroad opportunities.

Some students might be intimidated by the idea of studying abroad if they don’t have a foreign language, but there are options for them too.

“I have always been interested in studying abroad,” said sophomore Ashlea Zumwalt. “The University of Prince Edward Island in Canada is a great opportunity for me since I don’t speak

a foreign language.” UPEI is one of Missouri Southern’s 11 partner universities around the world that provide semester-long study abroad opportunities for students. Students pay MSSU tuition and UPEI for room and board. Although UPEI has many of the same departments as MSSU, they specialize in Island Studies, Canadian Studies, International Development Studies, Acadian Studies, and a wide range of biolo- gy classes including Field Coastal Ecology, Marine Biology, Wildlife Biology, and Watershed Ecology. Attending UPEI allows

students to experience a slower pace of life while getting a taste of Scottish and Acadian culture.

“It is one of the most beautiful islands you’ll ever see in your life,” said Dr. James Jackson, a biology professor emer- itus. “It is the cheapest place to stay and Cana- da has wonderful trans- portation and the bo- nus of free insurance.”

The application deadline for the fall semester is July 1, and the application deadline for the spring is Nov. 1.

Contact Dr. Chad Stebbins, director of the Institute of International Studies, for more information.