Malik brings diversity, Burr brings laughter

Spring break is coming soon and the Campus Activities Board wants to make sure it’s a safe break.

Safe Spring Break starts at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Billingsly Student Center with games and food for all. Comedian Billy Burr will perform at 9 p.m.

“It is going to be a laid back game night until the comedian,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Burr guarantees he will put on a good show, promising he will not use lame jokes or a poor act. Burr has appeared on “Late Night with Conan O’Brien,” NBC’s “Comedy Showcase” and a variety of other shows and movies.

“We showed him at the CAB meeting and received a great response,” Blackford said.

At 7 p.m. Wednesday in Webster Hall Auditorium, Malik Cooper from MTV’s “Real World” will lecture about diversity. Cooper has been giving lectures on diversity across the country at different colleges and has received positive feedback.

“He was on the ‘Back to New York’ season,” Blackford said. “On that show, there were a lot of race issues brought up.”

“I am really excited that Malik is coming to campus,” said Michelle Klund, freshman education major. “I think it is a very good idea, because people need to expand their horizons and learn about other cultures.”

While on the show, biracial Cooper encountered prejudice and talked about diversity to his roommates.

“He has a lot of knowledge on diversity, because of living in the ‘Real World’ house,” Klund said.

There were many speakers Southern wanted to bring on campus to speak on diversity, but Cooper was within the College’s price range, said Jason Givens, senior CIS major and assistant activities director.

“A lot of speakers we wanted to bring were extremely high,” he said.

CAB could not have Cooper speak during Black History Month due to scheduling conflicts at Webster Hall Auditorium. It was decided Wednesday evening would be the best night to host the diversity lecture so it would work out for students’ schedules, Givens said.

Blackford said there are no events planned for Thursday and Friday due to the MIAA basketball tournament in Kansas City.