Malik Cooper talks, draws low turnout

Malik Cooper spoke to a crowd of around 35 people March 5 about his experience on the television series, The Real World.

Malik Cooper spoke to a crowd of around 35 people March 5 about his experience on the television series, “The Real World.”

Campus Activities Board hosted Safe Spring Break and a lecture on diversity by Malik Cooper.

Tuesday’s Safe Spring Break offered food, prizes, “The Price is Right” game and a performance by comedian Billy Burr.

Equipment problems delayed Burr’s performance for 35 minutes, reducing the crowd to 80 people and causing a relocation from the Billingsly Student Center cafeteria to the foyer.

“I was nervous when the PAs didn’t work,” Burr said.

“When you are working with old equipment stuff like that happens,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

A small group of individuals was playing Monopoly during Burr’s performance.

“I’m glad we switched rooms,” he said. “The people playing Monopoly were at the back of the crowd, because initially they were up front.

“It would have been really distracting, but now I understand they were here for the free T-shirts.”

“He was awesome,” said Codi Price, sophomore mass communications major. “He worked well with the small audience.”

Burr said he “wasn’t flowing because it was a difficult vibe,” but he had a good time.

Malik Cooper of “Real World New York” lectured on diversity to 35 people March 5.

Cooper gave a synopsis of his life as a child growing up in Berkley, Calif., as well as talked about his experience on “Real World” and his current projects in progress. Cooper spoke about the prejudices he endured throughout his life.