Southern Men drown Riverhawks from long range

Jessica Greninger

Freshman center Dexter Frisbe shooting a contested layup on Robert Corn Court inside the Leggett & Platt Athletic Center against Lindenwood on Jan. 12, 2017. 

The Missouri Southern men’s basketball team entered their three-game homestand playing some poor basketball. Southern were losers in five of their last six games. That’s including losing their last two home games.

First, Southern traveled to Topeka, Kan. to face Washburn. Under third year head coach Jeff Boschee the Lions are undefeated against Washburn.

Southern put up 40+ points in both halfs led by freshman Elyjah Clark who dropped a career-high 23 points.

Southern scored 18 points on 16 Washburn turnovers. Southern led for over 30 minutes of the game.

Southern would finish their road trip in Emporia, Kan. as they faced off against Emporia State. ESU entered the game having won five of their last six games.

The first half was tightly contested ending in a 39- 39 tie. Both teams had two players score in double figures as junior CJ Carr played all 20 minutes for the Lions.

The Lions led early on in the second half before ESU tied the game up at 51. From there, ESU wouldn’t look back. ESU outscored Southern by 20 points off the bench.

Southern tallied no assist in the second half and shot 14 percent form three.

ESU won, 92-85.

On Wednesday night, Southern would welcome in Northeastern State to Robert Corn Court. Southern, having dropped to the bottom half of the MIAA after their loss to ESU, was trying to gather some momentum and play consistent basketball.

NSU was also a team that had lost 10 of their last 11 games coming into Wednesday nights matchup. 

The Lions trailed NSU for a huge bulk of the first 14 minutes of the game. The last six minutes the Lions would finally take the lead. Southern took a five point lead into the break.

Backup freshman guard Parker Jennings led all scorers with 11 points.

The second half seen both teams score over 55 points as Southern hit 12 three’s and tied their record of most three’s made in a game.

Southern had four players score in double figures in the second half. Three of the four were starters as Jennings continued his hot shooting scoring 10 and

totaling 21 points on the night. Senior JJ Cratit led all scoreers with 22 points.

Southern will be back in action tomorrow against Central Oklahoma. Tip- off from Robert Corn Court is set for 3 p.m.