Spring concert features light effects, dancing

Missouri Southern will host the annual Spring Choral Concert at Taylor Auditorium.

The concert will feature three major ensembles at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, said Bud Clark, director of choral activities, who is also responsible for the organization of the concert.

Southern Exposure will start the concert off, the Chamber Choir will follow and the Concert Choral will conclude.

Admission is free to attend the event.

Past years the concert has drawn on average of 1,000 people, Clark said.

Taylor Auditorium can accommodate slightly more than 2,000 people.

The Concert Chorale will have 75 to 80 students, the Chamber Choir will have 26 students, and Southern Exposure will have 20 students performing.

Clark said approximately one-third of the students performing at the concert are music majors.

This year’s concert will incorporate a multi-media presentation with the concert chorales’ performance.

A Power Point presentation will be utilized through the performance, especially during the patriotic performance, Clark said.

Cameras will videotape the concert and will be projecting images of the concert on a large screen. Lighting effects will also be used, Clark said.

The Chamber Choir will perform some of the same numbers as it did at the state competition, Clark said.

Clark said only three colleges were chosen to sing at the competition.

“It was quite an honor to be chosen to represent Missouri Southern,” Clark said.

Southern Exposure will sing and dance, performing mostly pop numbers and will do a jazz number as well, Clark said.

Southern Exposure tours to various high schools in the area and is used as a recruitment to for the College, Clark said.

Members in Southern Exposure are chosen by their personality and talent, Clark said.

Dusty Wooldridge, sophomore music education major, will be performing for his first time on the Southern Exposure choir.

Last year Wooldridge performed on the Chamber Choir and the Concert Chorale.

Wooldridge believes this year’s talent pool is better than last year’s.

“Exposure has toured a lot this year and was invited to the Webb City Show Choir Festival,” Wooldridge said.

Daryl Foster, junior vocal music major, will perform on the Concert Chorale and Chamber Choir.

Foster will perform “America the Beautiful.”

“I enjoy singing; it is a lot of fun,” Foster said. “It gives us a chance to express ourselves.”