Seven Southern staff members decide to retire

The retirement of seven faculty members may take a toll on the depth of experience and expertise at Missouri Southern.

The retiring faculty were recognized May 1 at a reception held in their honor.

Those honored for their years of service to Southern were Dr. Larry Martin, vice president for academic affairs; Dr. Ann Allman, counselor and academic adviser; Dr. Stephen Roark, associate professor of business; Dr. Robert Miller, professor of business; Dr. Bonnie Cox, assistant professor of teacher education; Dr. Nancy Smith, professor of teacher education; and Dr. Philip Whittle, professor of chemistry and director of the Regional Criminalistic Laboratory.

Three of the honorees, Martin, Miller and Whittle, have been at Southern for more than 30 years.

The event, held in the lounge on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center, was hosted by the office of College President Julio León.

“We wanted to take the opportunity to recognize their contributions…to wish them well in their retirement and thank them for everything they’ve done for Missouri Southern,” León said.

The event was organized by Nancy Messick, secretary to the president, and Rod Surber, director of public information.

Messick said relatives of those honored were invited, as well as previous retirees and the Board of Regents

She said the retirees received a formal gift from the College, a plaque, as well as something more personal.

“We try to give a gift they can use, something related to a hobby,” she said.

Surber said he had to do a little research among family and colleagues to find some clues about each retiring faculty member.

“We usually get something unique to them…something special,” Surber said.

“This year, all the retirees represent 149 years of service to this institution.”

“The value that they provide when you look over their years of service, what they’ve brought to the institution, their dedication and contributions, it’s just tremendous.

“To be that consistent and committed over those years says a lot about them and says a lot about the institution that can keep those kind of people.

“You hate to see them go.”