9/11 firefighter comes to campus thanks to CAB

Trapped in the rubble of the Twin Towers on Sept. 11, 2001, New York Fire Department Battalion Commander, Richard “Pitch” Picciotto lay for four hours before being rescued.

The highest-ranking firefighter to survive the World Trade Center collapse and the last fireman to escape the devastation, Picciotto was on the stairwell between the sixth and seventh floors of the North Tower when it collapsed. After the other firemen and rescue workers had evacuated, he stayed behind with a skeleton crew to help disabled and infirm civilians escape.

At 7 p.m. on Wednesday, Piccioto will bring his tale of heroism and self-sacrifice to Missouri Southern’s campus. His presentation will be based on his New York Times best-selling book, Last Man Down, that recounts that harrowing day. The book is considered a tribute to the 343 firefighters and 2,400 civilians who died in the attack.

The Campus Activities Board is responsible for bringing Piccioto to campus. The visit will cost CAB $11,500 for the hour and a half presentation.

CAB had also considered bringing in Helen Thomas, senior White House correspondent for United Press International and one of the first women to sit on the White House Press Corps. Thomas was going to cost the University between $10,000 and $12,000.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, thinks CAB made the right choice in bringing Picciotto to campus.

“We did a survey, and the students were more interested in hearing Chief Picciotto speak,” Blackford said. “Some people were upset by the switch. But Helen Thomas was never finalized, and we may see about bringing her in next year.”

Blackford and the other members of CAB think that Picciotto’s mass appeal will create good press for the University and CAB.

“Everybody has a connection to him,” said Carla Fairbanks, resident director of McCormick Hall.

“How many historic events can we honestly say we’ve lived through?” said Dutch Kelly, political science major. “Sept. 11, tops most of our lists.”

More than an interesting story, Picciotto is a part of this generation’s history, she said. Southern is inviting the area’s firefighters, ambulance and rescue workers to the event as a way to show the University’s appreciation for what they do.

A “meet and greet” will follow the presentation, during which Picciotto will sign copies of his book.

Blackford thinks the timing of the event will add to its appeal.

“We would be lucky to have him come speak at our school anytime, but on September 10 is amazing,” she said. “We’re really excited to have him here and I think it will be very powerful.”

The event is free to both students and the public.