Despite closings, journalism and the Chart are still alive

It’s that time of year again. Yet another semester has rolled around. While most students on campus are primarily concerned with when their refunds will arrive and trying to wake up on time to get to class, we here at The Chart have showed up ready to work, some more than others. While newspapers across the country fold and are forced to close their doors and shutter their newsrooms due to a shrinking list of subscribers and lack of add revenue, The Chart is still here. 

However, we are keenly aware that the product we work so diligently to put out every week is most likely only read by a tiny fraction of the student body. College students don’t read newspapers. Obviously that’s a wide-ranging generalization but for the most part, it’s true. This is a quantifiable fact that is easily observable when we distribute the paper every week and see the previous week’s issue still on the newsstands.

Despite this fact, newspapers in general and The Chart in specific still offer a valuable service. Newspapers inform the public and offer a platform and the means to conduct investigative journalism projects that delves into vital public issues. 

The media has recently been under attack from all angles of society and is frequently disparaged and disrespected. This condemnation has its place when it comes to false journalism and libel. Lazy and deceitful journalism should be called out at all turns.

However, there are still many trustworthy and hardworking journalists out there that strive to deliver the facts and shine light on the truth. These people and organizations should be commended for providing a worthwhile service. Journalism is not dead.

In an effort to keep this newspaper from being the next casualty to close up shop, we vow to continue to provide honest, accurate, and sincere content, no matter who’s reading.