Student support lost on athletics

Philip MartinEditor Emeritus

Philip MartinEditor Emeritus

An infection has invaded campus in the form of fan support or the lack there of.

In the infinite wisdom of the Campus Activities Board, it has created Gang Green, an organization for students to cheer on their team. The flaw in this wisdom is Gang Green focuses on only football and basketball. Although these are the two main sports that everyone in the community focuses on, there are other sports that don’t get a lot of attention.

One of these sports is tennis. The last home tennis match I attended, which was before the inception of Gang Green, there was a handful of students there; in fact I believe there was a grand total of six students who were not athletes attending the match. With Gang Green now in effect, there should be more students at these matches. Will there be more students at these matches? Only time will tell.

I actually overheard a member of Gang Green state that they will not attend the tennis matches because it’s a women’s team. What?! Sexist are we? Not only do the teams have little fan support, but they are also excluded because of their gender. This has to break some part of Title IX, I’m sure.

An example of the apparent problem with Gang Green came Sept. 13. There was a home football game, and Gang Green made their premier to the world that day. The very next day at the home soccer game, there was no one from Gang Green there. Where was everyone? The only students I saw consisted of the women’s soccer team and a handful of others who were hanging out with friends and not paying any attention to the game. Where is the cheering section? What is happening here?

Come on people, soccer is free admission. What could possibly be wrong with free admission? We’re college students, anything free is good.

Women’s soccer had more fan support for the Sept. 16 game, if you count heckling the other team fan support. The heckling didn’t seem to bother the other team, and what little cheering there was for our team didn’t seem to really drive our team that much.

I thought the whole point behind Gang Green is to bring school spirit to sporting events, but there was no one there Sept. 14 or 16 at the soccer game. The game started at 1 p.m. How long do you have to sleep in to not wake up and cheer on our men’s soccer team? How many of you know that we lost, 1-0? How many know that our men’s soccer team has a 0-5 record? How many know that we have two new soccer coaches for both men’s and women’s teams?

Enough about soccer, because there is also a volleyball team which is boasting a record of 7-1. Again, at the Sept. 16 volleyball game there was little fan support. But again the question arises, where were the fans? How many students knew the team had a perfect record?

I would guess not many knew this fact. Why? Because volleyball is not football. Shame on you people. Let’s get with the program here guys; there are more sports besides football. The whole idea here is to show up to a sport and support the team. Where is the support for our teams besides football and basketball?

Support all the teams or don’t support any, it’s as simple as that.

Maybe we should put this to a vote, but knowing this campus, it won’t happen.