Ghosting isn’t a permanent fix

Not to be confused with the sight of Casper, ghosting is becoming more prevalent and many students are not happy with the feelings that linger after the fact.

The Huffington Post reports, “Ghosting is when someone you’re dating ends the relationship by cutting off all communication, without any explanation.”

“I’ve ghosted someone before, but not really because we met through a dating app and I ended up not replying after some time had past,” said a student who preferred to be anonymous.

In an Elle.com survey studies found that 26 percent of women, and 33 percent of men have ghosted someone, as well as been ghosted on.

When students were asked about their thoughts on the act of ghosting many students believed that social media is the reason for the act of ghosting, while other students believed it is just a way to avoid someone or a conflict; either way most students believe this act is potentially damaging to someone’s character.

Whether it be a long term or short term relationship, avoidance, or ghosting is potentially worse than having the uncomfortable confrontation.

In the 1970s a study was done on preferred relationship ending strategies and the results showed that ending a relationship through avoidance, is more likely to trigger more anger.

Pyschologist, Maya Borgueta, said, “By working to overcome your fear of conflict, you can reduce anxiety, and build courage and communication skills that are important in many types of relationships.”

Whether you are the ghost or the party being ghosted on, studies show exposure is uncomfortably comforting giving you clarity when ending a relationship.