Modern exhibit features work of surrounding area students

Something strange is going on in the Spiva Art Gallery-alien machines are strewn across the floor and splashes of color decorate the walls.

“Pickled Egg Picker,” “Burnt” and “Abstract Figure 13” are just a few of the pieces in the newest art exhibit at Spiva Gallery.

The second annual Four State Salon art exhibition invites undergraduate and graduate art students from Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas and Missouri to submit pieces of all form.

The exhibit features wood and metal sculptures, jewelry, pencil sketches and canvas paintings. The styles range from realist still lifes to wildly colorful modern art.

All pieces had to have been created by the student in the past two years to be eligible for entry in the exhibit.

Area students entered 148 pieces and Dr. Mo Neal, professor of art for the University of Nebraska, selected 45 pieces to show.

Dr. Dewane Hughes, associate professor of art, has 14 of his students featured in the show and thinks this exhibition offers students a unique opportunity.

“First of all, it’s a good opportunity for the campus community to see some art,” Hughes said. “Secondly, it’s a good opportunity for area art students to communicate with other people who are doing the same things they are, and thirdly, it is great experience to enter a juried competition.”

Cathy Gilbreth, junior art education major, has a piece featured in the show called “Face of Fall.” The piece is a lithograph print of various tree leaves, but arranged in an artistic fashion that goes beyond their natural beauty.

The piece was originally part of an assignment for a class last semester, and she didn’t expect it to be chosen for the exhibit.

“I was excited and very surprised,” she said.

The exhibit’s closing reception is Jan. 30 and will feature Neal and some slides of her artwork. Prizes for Best in Show, first, second and third place in both two and three dimensional categories will be given at the reception.