Southern gives healthy relations

Jenna Muter, sophomore nursing major, walks a line while wearing drinking glasses. The event was held in conjunction with Healthy Relationships Week in the Billingsly Student Center.

Relationships can be tricky, which is why Missouri Southern holds Healthy Relationships Week.

The theme for this year’s activities was “Sex and The City.” It was sponsored by the Campus Activities Board, Residence Hall Association, Student Support Center and Campus Wellness and Recreation. With events ranging from Love Bingo to “Perfect Pals” (game show based on “The Newlywed Game,”) students enjoyed the events.

“I think it’s pretty cool,” said Courtney Tate, sophomore health promotion and wellness major. “I think it’s a good idea for students to learn more about what sex can lead them to.”

Tate said she isn’t sure if the students will actually learn something at the events.

“I’m not sure it will really influence any major decisions anybody will make,” Tate said, “but it gets people pretty involved.”

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, disagrees with Tate.

“Hopefully, some of what is going on will sink in,” Blackford said. “The draw is the free food and candy and the giveaways. That is how we get them down there. Once they’re down there, maybe, they’ll learn something or maybe they will remember to put a condom in their wallet and be prepared.”

Blackford said the participation for this year’s events was better than last year’s because the events were held in one central location. Last year students had to go around to different departments to get the stamp on their Love Bingo card. Instead, the students went around to the different tables to get the stamps.

The Student Support Center had three tables set up with pamphlets, which dealt with the signs of what is and is not a healthy relationship, how drinking affects a person’s relationships and one talking about how students prefer to date non-smokers.

Gale Voigt-Chelin, counselor with the Student Support Center, said students were interested in the information and what they could learn.

“They came up and asked questions,” Voigt-Chelin said. “They picked up information and we talked about our special norming campaign,” Voigt-Chelin said. “We surveyed 420 students last spring about their drinking and found out most students only drink zero to four drinks per week, which is different from the perspective where people think students drink a lot.”

On Feb. 11, “Sex and The City” wrapped up with “Perfect Pals.” Kelli Friga, senior marketing major participated in the game and said she enjoyed the game, although she and her partner lost.

“The one we missed was worth more points,” Friga said. “It was a lot of fun.”

Friga agreed with Tate and said the events were a good idea.