Students raise funds for center

The Students Nursing Association does not stop spreading love once Valentine’s Day is over.

The SNA is raising money for the Cerebral Palsy Center in Webb City by selling hearts. Amanda VanDaGriff, senior nursing major and president of SNA, said the center ended the fund-raiser on Feb. 14, but the SNA will continue with the project for another couple of weeks.

VanDaGriff said the association has held the fund-raiser before.

“The Cerebral Palsy Center in Webb City will contact us and ask us to sell their hearts,” VanDaGriff said.

“They contacted us, we helped them last year, and we’re doing it again this year.”

She said the organization does the project for many reasons.

“It’s a community service project,” VanDaGriff said. “Also, we have clinical there our junior year, the nursing students do. It’s kind of a way to help them out.”

VanDaGriff said she thinks the fund-raiser is a good way to help out the community.

“I think it’s a good way to raise awareness for a facility close to us,” she said.

“Not a lot of people know there is a center like that in Webb City. I think it raises awareness about funding that is needed.”

Sally Keeling, assistant executive director of the CP Center, said the funds raised by the students help reach part of the community otherwise not reached. Keeling said the money raised from the hearts program goes toward the annual telethon.

“The money will be presented at the telethon; businesses in the area help raise the money,” Keeling said.

“Some raise a small amount, but every bit helps.”

Keeling said the telethon will be held at Missouri Southern and SNA has been helping with the campaign for the past four years.

She said the money goes toward the vans that help bring people to the center. The vans run as far north as Lamar and as far south as MacDonald County as well as in the Webb City area.

Keeling said except for the cost of printing the hearts and posters, which is not much, the money raised from the campaign “goes to the kids.”

VanDaGriff said individuals can buy the hearts from the SNA by contacting the association through the nursing department at 625-9322 or by contacting the faculty adviser for SNA, Chrys Corcoran at 625-3150.