Tony award winner provides opportunity

James Henson, senior physics major, left, Jimmy Noreiga, senior theatre, English and Spanish major, and Rachel Mastin, junior theatre major, practice lines and blocking for a summer trip to Cody, Wyo., and the chance to work with a Tony award winning actor.

Theatre students are becoming acquainted with Cody. Cody, Wyo., that is.

Sam Claussen, associate professor of theatre, along with a small cast and crew, will travel to Cody to perform The Nerd, a play by Larry Shue.It all started when Claussen took his daughter, Jessie, and Jordan Merritt, senior theatre major, to a lighting workshop directed by Tony Award winning actor Joe Sears.

Soon after, Sears asked Claussen and the Missouri Southern theatre department if they would be interested in performing a summer show.

“This is the beginning of a cooperation between Cody stage and the MSSU drama department,” Claussen said. “We will have a paid ensemble of actors go every summer to Cody, Wyo.”

This year the cast of seven includes theatre veterans: Rachel Mastin, junior theatre major; David Pearson and Jimmy Noriega, senior theatre, Spanish, English and history major, as well as newcomer James Henson, senior physics major, who is making his debut in the lead role.

Actors are responsible for their own costumes and makeup. They will carpool to Cody and live together in a lodge, provided by Sears.

If free lodging and a Tony-Award winning actor weren’t enough, the theatre is located just miles from Yellowstone National Park.

Actors and staff all agree the co-op will be great for the department and the school.

“It would make a great recruiting tool,” said Jan Maldonado, Southern alumna. “This is much more of an experience for students. They won’t be lost when they leave, they’ll have a direct connection with a professional theatre company.”

“It will be a good experience for everyone going,” Mastin said. “We’ll get everyone to do a little of everything.”

The company plans to have an open door performance at 7:30 p.m. May 26 in the Bud Walton Theater. They will leave for Cody the following morning.

Performances will take place from June 1 through June 13. Dr. Jay Fields will direct Love Letters, which will run to the end of the month.

The Theatre Department will provide a month of professional theatre for The Cody Stage.

Sears is allowing Southern theatre to try out this summer, providing food, gas and lodging as payment. If all goes according to plan, students and alumni will have a professional outlet every summer.

This proves students don’t have to go on Broadway or to L.A to make money, Maldonado said.

Future plans for a Cody/Southern exchange are still in development.