Board finishes semester with Finals Madness

Hands were raised and Taps played as the final spring 2004 meeting of Missouri Southern’s Campus Activities Board ended.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, took a moment to reflect on the year and the progress CAB has made.

“We’ve had a great year,” Blackford said. “Not only in planning for events, but student participation as well. All of [the CAB members’] hard work needs to be recognized.”

During the 2003-2004 year, CAB hosted many events as well as sponsoring Chief Richard Picciotto and Dr. Hunter “Patch” Adams. Both lectures broke previous attendance records. This year’s end-of-the-year events include Finals Madness, a game night on Reading Day. Some of the events are a Velcro wall, human foosball, water balloons and limbo. Free T-shirts and refreshments will also be available.

The “Friends” finale night will also be taking place on Thursday in the University Java coffee shop on the first floor of the Spiva Library. Students will receive a coupon good for two drinks, a muffin and a cookie. The coffee shop will be transformed from the University Java to the Central Perk. Students are invited to take a break from studying and watch the finale in a fun setting. Activities will begin when the show starts.

“We’ll also have a drawing for a box-set [of “Friends”],” said Daniel Horner, junior health promotion and wellness major.

Trivia and games are also a possibility as the event is still in the planning stage.

“This week’s events, the photo scavenger hunt, movie night and skate night, were a strong finish,” Blackford said.

Blackford’s hopes for next year are to allocate funds to smaller, more frequent projects. She also hopes to bring more people into the meetings, since it’s the students money CAB is spending.

“We have lots of new ideas,” Blackford said.

Meetings will resume at 2 p.m. on the first Wednesday of next semester in the student activities office on the third floor of Billingsly Student Center.