Organization members make dinner plans with speaker Dr. Patch Adams

Campus Activities Board members are preparing for the much anticipated lecture on Monday by Dr. Hunter “Patch” Adams. Thirteen students were in attendance for the 15-minute meeting.

The events surrounding the arrival of Adams headlined the meeting.

The famous doctor will be coming to Missouri Southern on Monday, to tell the story that inspired a Hollywood movie.

Adams will speak, answer questions and sign copies of his book, which will be for sale for $15-20.

Screenings of the film, Patch Adams, have been showing at various times in the Lion’s Den.

The movie was also shown by CAB on April 14 to promote Adam’s appearance.

Members of CAB are planning to have dinner with Adams following the performance. Time and place are usually left up to the speaker.

“We’re just really excited,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Blackford briefly discussed the Spring Fling activities taking place during the week of April 26.

On April 27, a photo scavenger hunt will take place. Students will have two days to take as many pictures on the list as they can. Cameras will be available at noon.

On April 28, CAB will host a skate night at Silver Wheels in Joplin. The event will last from 8 p.m. to midnight.

Friday will be an all-campus picnic. Activities included will be make-your-own candle, photo keychains and airbrush tattoos.

On the agenda for next year is sex-columnist Dr. Ruth. She was requested for Southern’s annual healthy relationships week. No final arrangements have been made.

Mentalist/illusionist Wayne Hoffman is slated to come to Southern in the fall.

“He would do random illusions with people on Monday and then do a Tuesday night show,” said Derick White, senior special education major.

Hoffman is compared to illusionist David Blaine.

Other candidates for the fall include comedy magician Stephen Lynch and comedian Damon Williams. No final arrangements have yet been made.

Ideas for speakers are still being welcomed by CAB. Any students interested are encouraged to attend the weekly meetings at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays in the student activities office located on the second floor of Billingsly Student Center.