‘Last Comic Standing’ contestant promises laughs to campus in October

Returning from their summer hiatus, the Campus Activities Board hit the ground running during its first official meeting of the semester Sept. 1.

Ten people were in attendance to discuss issues ranging from recruitment to Halloween activities. The first meeting focused on recruitment. CAB has never had a strong showing of student support, which is something Julie Blackford, director of student activities, hopes to change in this semester.

Blackford said CAB has experienced some losses in membership since last semester, but said CAB is still strong with new and returning members.

“People think of this as an office,” said Terry Levy, senior pre-law/criminal justice major. “We want people to come to the meetings.”

Blackford and Levy want students to know that all students are welcome to attend CAB meetings, especially if students don’t agree with what CAB uses its funds for.

“Either now or prior, whatever CAB spends their money on is what students want,” said Levy. “If students have a problem with what we spend their money on, then come to the meeting.” That’s all it takes. Everybody at the meetings agrees on it. The only way we’ll know what [students] want is if [students] come to the meetings.”

Upcoming events include Natural High Week, scheduled for the week of Sept. 13.

A DUI simulator and speaker Mark Sterner headline the week.

Homecoming week, Sept. 20, includes events like a skate night at 9 p.m. on Sept. 22 at Keely’s Silver Wheels and a bachelor and bachelorette auction at 7 p.m. in the Criminal Justice Auditorium.

Anyone interested in participating in the auction may contact the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.

Other homecoming events include pirate pictures, a picnic and free T-shirts.

Other upcoming events include local astronaut Janet Kavandi and “Last Comic Standing” comedian Tammy Pescatelli both scheduled for late October.

CAB will devote time to the homecoming activities next Wednesday. Anyone interested in CAB is encouraged to attend the weekly meetings at 2 p.m. in the student activities office.