$100 home game giveaway hopes to attract students

Hughes Stadium will be filled with green. Missouri Southern’s signature color will not only grace the stands, but the inside of several students’ pockets.

Zimmer Radio Group and the Campus Activities Board have teamed up to give away $100 to a random student at every Lions home game.

The suggestion came from Kevin Greim, director of marketing, after an annual marketing conference. He came back with an idea that would be beneficial to everyone.

“The past few years, Southern has struggled with school spirit,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities. “We thought this would hopefully get people in the seats.”

It works like this: during a specific time during the game, a name will be drawn from a packet containing the names of every student who pays the mandatory $25 activity fee, which is included in Southern’s tuition. If the person is attending the game, he or she may claim their prize of $100.

However, if that person is unavailable, the money will carry over into the next home game and the name will be put back into the mix. When a winner is drawn, he or she will not be eligible for another cash prize. Money will be given away at every Lions home football and basketball game.

Winners will be asked to make a radio appearance as a courtesy to Zimmer, who is donating out the money to be given away. CAB money will not be used in the payout.

Despite the full stands and a win, the Lions Aug. 26 home opener went without a prizewinner, which means Saturday’s game will boast a $200 pot.

If the low attendance trend continues this year, the pot could quickly climb to the upper hundreds, or lower thousands.

In the event that no winner is chosen, one winner will be chosen among those attending the final home basketball game.

“We will be giving away the money, no matter what,” Griem said.

“Money will make any college student jump,” said

Grahm Dickinson senior finance major and co-captain of the cheerleading squad. “I know if I got an e-mail saying I could win $500, I’d be at the game.”

“I would go [for $100],” said Michelle Eberle, senior pre-med major. “It’s been awhile since I’ve been to a [football] game.”

“The better the environment, the easier it is to play,” said Greim. “If we can create an environment where [students] come and have a good time, they’ll come back, money or not.”

Between a new coach, new freshman, a new offense and prize potential, Southern football may be in for a winning season.

“We had more students [at the game] by far than any game last year,” Dickinson said.

Two hundred dollars will be up for grabs at 7 p.m. this Saturday at Hughes Stadium. Admission is free to all Southern students.