CAB discusses Homecoming

Yvonne Fedewa, sophomore international business major and Lisa McCain, junior graphic design major, sakte around the rink at the homecoming skate night sponsored by CAB.

After a series of events leading up to Homecoming week, the Campus Activities Board is going to see a light at the end of the tunnel. The Student Activities Office on the second floor of Billingsly Student Center was full of cardboard ships, pirate costumes and treasure chests.

Eight students were in attendance for the brief meeting detailing the remaining Homecoming events for the week.

“Next week we’re back to normal,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

“We were busy before school even started.”

Almost back to normal, Blackford said Wednesday’s meeting will be CAB’s first “normal” meeting of the semester.

“We’ll be planning events for the fall and spring semesters,” she said.

CAB is bringing comedienne Tammy Pescitelli of Last Comic Standing fame, as well as local astronaut Janet Kavandi and ghost hunter John Zaffis.

Blackford is interested in what students have to say about smaller events that could take place during the current and upcoming semester.

Concerning Homecoming, Blackford and members of CAB are pleased with the University’s support this year as opposed to the widespread lack of school spirit in recent years.

“We had prospect students coming in and saying, ‘Wow, our high school doesn’t decorate this much,'” said Mary Daniel, junior accounting major.

Offices around campus began to decorate and some are now in competition.

Daniel said although some said it was unprofessional for an office to decorate, it was good for recruitment and school spirit.

Blackford said 16 offices competed for the prize, which is the most she has seen in her time at Southern.

Throughout the week, keys have been handed out at every event. Students may use the keys they’ve accumulated on Friday at the all-campus picnic to try and open a chest. Inside will be a prize.

Free food and T-shirts will given out at the picnic. The T-shirts will be handed out around 11:45 to give students a better opportunity of getting one.

All students are welcome and encouraged to join CAB’s weekly meetings 2 p.m. every Wednesday in the Student Activities Office.