New group at Southern intends to promote, increase campus recycling

New organizations are springing up all around Missouri Southern.

One such clubs on the Southern campus is the Recycling Promoters Club, which began this semester.

Its goal is to promote recycling on Missouri Southern’s campus and to make it as easy as possible for the students.

Josh Doak, resident director of Blaine Hall, advises the organization, and Ryan Shields, sophomore political science major, is the president.

“One purpose is to increase awareness of recycling done on campus,” Doak said. “The club is brand new, just started this semester. There are about seven or eight members right now.”

Doak started the club with Carla Fairbanks, resident director of McCormick Hall.

Kappa Alpha also will help with awareness.

The club wants to put recycling bins in every building on campus. Members want to put paper recycling bins in the residence halls as well. There are currently no dues for the club.

Eric Norris, junior general business major and vice president of marketing, said his job is marketing and promotion.

He wants to help get the word out and let people know about it, educate and make people aware of what the club is trying to do.

“We want to get more bins, make students know where the bins are located and make it as easy as possible for students to recycle,” Norris said. “We are in the early stages of working with the Joplin Recycling center.”

Any and all students interested in joining the club are invited to attend their monthly meetings.

The Recycling Promoters Club will hold their meetings at 2 p.m. on the second Monday of the month in the Lion’s Den.