Students fall short on spirit

Students fall short on spirit

Barry Linduff

Students fall short on spirit

Missouri Southern’s school spirit has fallen faster than a person can say, “stand up and shout.”

So, what is the reason for this?

Is it that we don’t have “winning teams?”

There are plenty of schools out there with much worse records who proudly display their school colors on game day. It’s sad to say that area high schools put our University to shame.

Some students say they have to work; others say they have better things to do.

What do we have to do to get people to our games?

Attendance has been up at the football games this semester. But it has fallen. Our lack of school spirit affects us as a university. Students are missing out on a great part of college life.

Why wouldn’t anyone want to go hang out with his or her friends at a football game for an hour or two?

Oh yeah, they’ve got better things to do. We’ve gone to great lengths to get students to games.

We’ve created “school spirit” squads; we’ve had contests, and incentives and we’ve even offered students money, which has yet to be claimed.

The University plans to have 10,000 students enrolled eventually. This will not happen if the current students cannot help out and build some quality traditions, such as attending the sporting events.

Have some pride in the University; alumni do it, but you do not have to be an alumni before you can start being supportive of the University. Stand up for our school. What do we have to lose? Football games?