Campus prepares for lectures from astronaut, ghost hunter, comedienne

After an week of planning on Oct. 6, the Campus Activities Board held a brief, 12-minute meeting Oct. 13 to recap the remaining fall events and discuss upcoming performances of local astronaut Janet Kavandi, ghost hunter John Zaffis and comedienne Tammi Pescatelli.”We’re hanging posters, word of mouth; just trying to get the word out,” said Carla Fairbanks, resident hall director.Kavandi will speak at 10 a.m. on Thursday, in Webster Hall auditorium. “It’s during school time, which may help us or may hurt us,” Blackford said.That night, Zaffis will perform at 7 p.m. in Cornell Auditorium.Pescatelli will perform on at 8 p.m. Oct. 26. Best known for her appearance on NBC’s Last Comic Standing, Pescatelli will perform her act for free. Cash donations may be made to support the United Way. Blackford and CAB are hoping for a large turnout but are unsure of what to expect.”One student was worried she wouldn’t get a seat,” Blackford said. “Students are excited about it, from what I’ve heard.”Pescatelli will be performing in Taylor Performing Arts Center.Blackford also mentioned possibly alternating weeks for meetings to increase productivity and cut down on short meetings. Every other week would be devoted to working and researching people and events for upcoming semesters.She said students may feel more productive if they had time set aside to work on projects. The CAB and Zimmer Radio Group giveaway pot is now up to $600. One student attending the Nov. 6 home football game against Washburn University may win the cash if his or her name is called. If the winning student is not at the game, the first home basketball game will boast $700 pot.Other upcoming CAB events include grocery bingo, karaoke.Pumpkin carving will take place at noon on Oct. 29 in the Lion’s Den.Next week, CAB will resume by talking about events for spring. Blackford plans to have next semester planned soon.All students who have ideas or interest in CAB are encouraged to attend the weekly meetings at 2 p.m. every Wednesday in the student activities office.