Recreation center waits for answers to questions

After consultations, deliberations and surveys last semester, Missouri Southern has many steps left to take before building a recreation center.

Last semester, representatives from RDG and Brailsford and Dunlavey architectural firms came to Southern to discuss the possibility of constructing a rec center on campus.

Following the visit, the firm sent out a campus-wide survey. The survey asked students what they would like to see in a rec center, as well as possible locations for a rec center and what size to make it – larger, smaller or no building at all.

“Over 70 percent [of students] said they would go with the larger building,” said Darren Fullerton, director of campus recreation and wellness.

The architects then made a return to campus to meet with the Board of Governors to discuss the results of the survey in June.

Recently, the topic has resurfaced within the Board, and discussions have once again focused on plans for a rec center.

“We are in the process of getting a feel for what other institutions have,” said University President Julio León. “The facilities we do have get heavily used by the athletics program, which tends to crowd students out. That’s what prompted the Student Senate and other groups to say ‘we need a facility that is just for the students.'”

The Campus Activities Board was one of the student organizations to meet with the architects during their visit in January.

“I know we need it,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities. “We’re a university now. We need to step it up.”

León said the project could cost around $14 million to $15 million. With a cost that high, with no help from the state or possible donations, the Board estimated a $145 fee to students to help fund the project.

León said any fee of more than $100 to students was too much for students to pay, especially with rising tuition costs.

Representatives from the architectural firms brought a detailed report

during their June visit. The report included different facilities students wanted in the building.

“We want to have an idea of how to scale down the project in order to lower the [financial] requirement of the students,” León said.

Fullerton said he would like to see students pay as small of fee as possible without forfeiting the facilities that most appeal to the students.

Currently, Southern students do not pay a health fee, a fee charged by many other colleges and universities.

Fullerton said students at Crowder College pay $60 per semester as a health fee. Students at Southern are free of the extra fee, but enjoy the same health service benefits as CC students. By adding a health fee, students could use the benefits of the rec center and the health center at minimal cost.

As for a projected finishing date, León said that isn’t an issue just yet.

“We are not even close to that point right now,” he said. “We are in the investigation stage.”