Giveaway offers $800 to student basketball attendees

With only three weeks left of classes, the Campus Activities Board met for their weekly meeting on Nov. 17.

“It’s the end of the semester and we’re all grateful for that,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Eight students were in attendance. Hours before the meeting, CAB sponsored the “United Way dollar day”, a discount lunch promotion with all proceeds going to the United Way. The event raised $360 dollars.

CAB members discussed the remaining events for the semester including a wrap party on Dec. 7 and a possible casino night in conjunction with the release of the upcoming sequel Oceans Twelve. Next semester, CAB has booked comedian Chris Canon. Canon will perform at 7 p.m. on Jan. 20 in Webster Hall auditorium. The Board plans to schedule a comedian or a hypnotist on the third Thursday of every month. CAB is looking to schedule comedian Chris Strait for a later date, but one has yet to be decided. Discussions for a big man on campus pageant contest are still in the works. At this point, CAB members do not want the event to compete with the talent show competition they put on every spring. CAB members are still discussing ideas for the pageant. Another concern is attendance.

“I’m not worried about getting people to do it,” said Grahm Dickinson, senior finance major. “I’m worried about getting a crowd there.”

Suggestions for a venue to host the contest are still in the air as well. The CAB and Zimmer Radio Group $100 giveaway is now up to $800 at the next Lions home basketball game 7 p.m. Friday. If the prize is not given away, the pot will be up to $900 for Saturday night’s game.

Anyone with suggestions or interest in CAB are invited to attend their weekly meetings at 2 p.m. Wednesdays.

CAB will not have a meeting next Wednesday but will resume at 2 p.m. on Dec. 1 in the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.