Keeping things clean

Metcalf can usually be found talking to students while sweeping up.

Keeping the campus of Missouri Southern clean is a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it.

Students and faculty may not know Robert (Bob) Metcalf by name, but they see his work all around.

For the past three and a half years, Metcalf has worked as a custodian in Webster Hall.

Although easily recognized by his ready smile and friendly banter, most people know little about the man they see every day sweeping the steps, or his reasons for being there.

“It’s all about making another buck,” Metcalf said. “If I make enough money doing work study, I don’t have to get another job.”

Metcalf is studying English at Southern.

He will graduate in December with his Associate’s degree and will return to the campus for one more semester and graduate with a Bachelor’s degree in May 2005.

While some may find custodial work unsatisfying, Metcalf, finds enjoyment in small things like the interaction with other students while sweeping the steps.

“I have people come down here all the time who know me by my first name, and I have no idea who these people are,” he said.

Gary Compton has been working as a custodian in Webster Hall since the building opened 14 years ago.

He has worked with Metcalf during the past three and a half years and said his friendly nature can sometimes get him into trouble.

“We made a sign to hang around his neck,” Compton said. “The sign says ‘Bob is busy, do not bother him.’ He is a dandy.”

Metcalf takes his love for life into other areas besides his work. His great passion is writing and he aspires to be a science fiction writer. Metcalf said with his “bizarre” personality and sense of humor, his colleagues have compared him to famous horror novelist Steven King, which he said he doesn’t mind.

He is joined in his academic endeavors by his wife, who is also an English student at Southern hoping to go into technical writing.

Metcalf said he loves being with his wife and in the 17 years they have been married, they have only been in a couple of arguments.

“We disagree without being disagreeable,” he said. “We sit down and talk.”

Other family members include four children and three grandchildren.

Metcalf is a family man and said he loves being with his grandchildren and spends all the time he can with them.

Metcalf enjoys life, whatever curve ball it throws him and hopes his joy infects the people he comes into contact with every day.

There are many things still unknown about the friendly custodian perpetually sweeping the steps and he wants other people to realize that.

“I’m still working on Zelda [for Nintendo] 64,” he said. “And I’m not quite there yet, but … I’ll get there.”