Group wraps up semester with wrapping party, 75 people in attendance

Following an eventful semester, the Campus Activities Board held its final meeting of the semester, over lunch.

A steady stream of CAB members came and went through the student activities office on Dec. 8 for their end of the semester party.

Members of the board brought different foods, snacks and desserts to reward themselves for the work they did this semester.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, said she was pleased with the semester’s events and the work members of CAB put into it.

Blackford said she was especially pleased with the turnout for their wrap party Dec. 7.

“About 75 people showed up to wrap presents,” Blackford said.

More people came to the event to watch one of the two films, which were National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation or Elf.

CAB sponsored a ginger bread house making competition this week. Blackford sent an E-mail to clubs across campus looking for interest. The E-mail generated about 15 responses. Overall, there were 11 entries.

Final entries were on display in the Lion’s Den throughout the week. The student alumni association took first prize, with Phi Eta Sigma taking second. The chemistry club won third.

Blackford said she hopes the wrap party and the ginger bread house competition will become a tradition at Southern.

Zimmer Radio Group and CAB paid out $800 on Nov. 19 to Sara Armstrong, junior radiology major, as part of the Lion Pride Payout. As of, Dec. 8, the Lion Pride payout is up to $700.

The payout will continue through the semester break at all home basketball games.

CAB will reconvene next semester. All students with ideas or interest in CAB are invited to attend next semester’s meetings. Their first meeting will be at 2 p.m. on Jan. 12 in the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.