Low numbers spark membership discussion

Meetings in the student activities office are looking more and more scarce. Four students were in attendance for the Jan. 26 Campus Activities Board meeting.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, is a little concerned.

“It’s hard to advertise CAB,” Blackford said. “We’re always advertising an event.”

Blackford said CAB is continually looking for members.

CAB spent its brief meeting discussing the upcoming Karaoke night, planned for Feb. 17 in the Student Life Center. The event will have a “Guitars and Tiki Bars” theme. The SLC will be given a Luau look for the Karaoke night.

Members also discussed comedian Chris Cannon. Cannon performed Jan. 20 in Webster Hall auditorium to an audience of about 100.

Blackford said she would have liked to have seen more attend the comedian. CAB members said there was some confusion among students about Cannon and upcoming comedian Sinbad. Tickets for Sinbad are being sold for $35-45 with proceeds going to the boys and girls club. Cannon’s show was free.

Students were also confused as to where Cannon was performing. The play The Musical Murders of 1940 took place in Taylor Performing Arts Center. Cannon performed at the same time in Webster Hall.

In the works for February is “Friends” Fest. The week of events will take place starting Feb. 7. CAB will be handing out 300 movie tickets that will be good for the following Thursday.

Other “Friends” Fest activities include “Friends” trivia, make-your-own Valentine and picture snow globes. CAB also plans to have ‘Southern’ Perk, a spoof of “Friends” Central Perk, where free coffee will be served.

Comedian Alex House has officially been named the MC for the talent show.

“We saw some of her stuff online,” said Daniel Horner, junior health promotion wellness major. “We saw a clip of hers and liked it.”

The talent show will be on March 16 in Taylor Performing Arts Center. The deadline for talent entries is March 2.

CAB is still searching a comedian.

Comedian Chris Strait is set to perform on March 2 in the Lion’s Den as part of a $1 burger day.

Anyone with ideas or interest in CAB is invited to attend the weekly meetings at 2 p.m. every Wednesday in the student activities office on the second floor BSC.