Paintball Underground

Players race for cover as a new game begins.

Paint comes in different colors, and paintball courses come in different shapes and sizes.

Joplin’s newest paintball field is Underground Paintball.

As the name suggests, there is a playing course underground – in a cave to be exact.

Shawn Dodson, director of operations at the course, said the idea came out of a need to use some unused land.

“We’ll have one of the largest paintball fields in the midwest,” Dodson said.

The course features more than 500 acres above ground and about 15 acres underground.

“It’s an old limestone cave,” Dodson said.

He said the entrance to the cave is large enough to drive a semitrailer in and the temperature stays a constant 60 degrees year-round.

The cave has been in existence for more than 50 years.

“We have over a million square feet (indoors),” Dodson said.

The courses are currently under construction, but there is a bring-your-own-equipment night at 6 p.m. every Wednesday.

Also, Dodson hopes to have courses ready for rentals and weekend play by next month.

He said the courses will not look like other courses in the area.

“We are really putting the money up there to make it look nice,” he said. “It’s not just another junkyard to play paintball in.”

Cliff Eisenbarger, junior marketing major and tournament-level paintball player, is looking forward to the course’s full opening.

“It’s a good setup,” he said.

Eisenbarger said the course will serve as the home field for his team.

He said he enjoys having the ability play the course in any season and the size of the course.

“It gives a lot of variety,” Eisenbarger said.

He said his team will work with newcomers and help with workshops during the fall, and he is willing to help with on-campus organizations.

The student recreation center has already prepared to go paintballing with interested students at 4 p.m. March 11.

The price will be $10 and must be paid up front. It includes rental equipment, air, 100 paintballs and unlimited playing time. Extra paint is available for a fee.

Students may sign up at all residence hall offices or the student activities office.

Dodson said he is looking forward to working with the University and hopes students take advantage of the proximity of the course.

Student discounts will be available.

Anyone interested may visit the course’s Web site at www.underground-paintball.com.

The office for the course is located on North Range Line Road near Granny Shaffer’s, and the course is more than 200 yards north of the Conoco station on Duquesne Road north of Missouri Southern.

Prices vary if a person comes with his or her own equipment.

Single prices start at $8, if the person brings equipment.

Without equipment, prices start at $15.

Dodson encourages anyone interested to come by during business hours, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays.

“It’s a very addictive sport,” he said.