Board starts year with new schedule, events

This year will be a little different for the Campus Activities Board.

Instead of holding formal meetings every Wednesday, CAB will have a workday every other Wednesday of the semester.

The workdays will be used to make phone calls and fliers, do research and distribute information for upcoming events.

“We’ve always suggested it, but never really followed through with it,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

Eight were in attendance for the first CAB workday of the semester. Students were preparing for comedian Chris Canon, who performed on Thursday night, as well as other upcoming events for the semester. Events include a karaoke night in February and SPIKE night in March with the Comedy Sports improv team.

CAB is also planning a trip to Joplin’s Spook Light. They will also watch The Haunting of Connecticut, a film about a haunting in a Connecticut home starring ghost hunter John Zaffis. Zaffis lectured about ghosts and spirit energy last semester.

Healthy Relationships week will take place the week of Valentine’s Day. This year, the week’s events will have a Friends theme.

The talent show is back and will take place at 7 p.m. March 16 in Taylor Auditorium. The deadline for entries is March 2.

Comedian Alex House has been named master of ceremonies for the talent show. House was named Comedian of the Year by Campus Activities magazine. She has appeared on Comedy Central, ABC’s “The View” and Last Comic Standing.

CAB plans to book a comedian for the third Thursday of every month for the semester, but has yet to finalize booking plans. Anyone with an idea or request is welcomed to bring it to the Student Activities Office on the second floor of Billingsly Student Center.

On March 2, CAB will sponsor another dollar-burger day with proceeds going to benefit the Tsunami Relief fund. Comedian Chris Strait may come to perform in the Lion’s Den, although booking has not yet been finalized.

Canon, a Dallas-based comedian, may also perform that night.

“He makes jokes about everyday things,” said Carla Fairbanks, resident director. “Things you never think about.”

Anyone with an idea or interest in CAB is invited to attend the weekly meetings. A formal meeting open to all students will be Wednesday, Jan. 26. CAB meets at 2 p.m. on the second-floor BSC.