Women’s softball splits with a 3-3 record

The first day started out well for Missouri Southern’s softball team as it competed in the Central Arkansas/ US Bank Spring Clash on Feb. 18.

The Lions won their first game with a 5-3 victory over previously unbeaten University of Arkansas-Monticello.

Southern hit the ball a total of eleven times and had its first four hits in their three-run third inning against UAM.

The Lion’s first hit came when Trish Masters, junior centerfielder, singled to center field. She would then proceed to steal second, advance to third, and score before Mary Barrow, senior catcher, grounded out to second base.

Southern would score its last point in the sixth inning as Erin Gfeller, sophomore left fielder, first singled to left field and then was able to run it home as Sheri Gates, sophomore designated hitter, headed to second. At the end of the sixth inning, Southern would have three players left on base after J.T Taylor, freshman outfielder flied out to right field.

Amy Schneider, junior, would pitch entirety of the game against UAM.

She would have five strikeouts and only four hits against her.

“I think our pitchers are giving us good performances,” said Maryann Mitts, head softball coach.

In the second game of the first day, Southern would fall to Southern Arkansas University, 3-0.

With 100 people in attendance for the game, the Lions held off the Lady Muleriders until the fourth inning when SAU scored all three of its points.

On the second day, Southern would end up 1-1 as the competed against University of Central Arkansas for the first game and Ouachita Baptist University for the second game.

In the opener game with host UCA, Southern appeared to have the victory in hand after three runs in the sixth inning.

However, in the final inning UCA’s Marquita Smith would hit a two-run homer, which would clinch the win for UCA at the bottom on the seventh, ending the game 5-4.

Schneider would pitch for four innings and have only one run against her.

Katy Owsley, junior, pitched for about two innings and had four runs hit against her.

The Lions would have a total of 10 hits for the game.

In the final game for the tournament, the Lions competed against OBU, winning the game 7-2.

The Lions would score the majority of their runs in the fifth inning as Ashton Turner, freshman designated hitter,

Gfeller and Masters were able to score.

The Lions are currently 3-3. They will compete next on Friday and Saturday at the Henderson State Tournament.

“I’m really excited about the potential of the team,” Mitts said. “We’re very young, but we’re playing some solid defense. We keep getting better as time goes by.”