Ecolonomics organization asks CAB for Earth Day event aid

Members of the International Student Ecolonomics Association were in attendance for the Feb. 23 meeting of the Campus Activities Board.

The 11-student turnout is one of the biggest of the semester.

The group was on hand to ask for support for its upcoming Earth Day celebration.

“We asked CAB for some money,” said Shelley Manley, senior biochemistry, biology and chemistry major and president of the organization. “They said they wanted to help with the event and we needed help.”

The event would consist of a concert on the night of April 21, followed by an afternoon of events on Earth Day, which is April 22.

Schwag, the proposed band, would play at the biology pond.

The total cost is $1,800, but many other area bands said they would perform for free if Schwag came to perform.

The events on the oval would consist of informational booths, educational speakers environmental activism and activities.

“It’s like welcome back week, only environmentally friendly,” Manley said.

Julie Blackford, director of student activities, said she would like to help. So far, CAB has not yet allocated any funds to the organization.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Blackford said. “I’m usually skeptic about concerts. This one seems more contained, and we don’t have to spend $10,000 on an event.”

The group asked for $1,000 to help cut the cost. Many of the members of the ecolomonics group are members of other organizations. Seven campus organizations are represented between them. Blackford asked them to put together a committee before any money was given away.

CAB also discussed bringing back ghost hunter John Zaffis.

Zaffis lectured on ghosts and the paranormal last semester at Southern and drew in a crowd that overflowed Cornell Auditorium.

He now has a new presentation and has an opening on Oct. 24, just in time for Halloween.

Upcoming CAB events include the $1 burger day on Wednesday. Comedian Chris Strait is scheduled to perform. Wednesday is also the deadline for the talent show, but the date will most likely be pushed back to allow for more entries.

Currently, only six entries have been submitted.

CAB is also promoting Spring Break Blitz, a week of events before spring break.

Blackford hopes more students will take interest in CAB.

She said she was happy to see a larger turnout for the Feb. 23 meeting and hopes the high numbers will continue.

“We’re so busy promoting our own events, we don’t have time to promote ourselves,” Blackford said.

Anyone with ideas or interest in CAB is invited to attend their weekly meetings at 2 p.m. every Wednesdays in the student activities office on the second floor of v Student Center.