University Web site homepage launches with redesigned look, feel

Southern´s new homepage went online Feb. 4

Students logging on to the Missouri Southern homepage will notice a new look.

The new homepage, which premiered on Feb. 4, now supports more browsers such as Navigator, Firefox and Internet Explorer.

It also has more links and is more accessible for monitors equipped with handicap-ready hardware.

“It’s redesigned with more homepage links,” said Rod Surber, director public information. “Students and visitors have a visibility-incorporated page, text-only page and non-flash page. The accessibility is improved and can accommodate major browsers.”

Several students said they liked the new homepage.

“I think it’s glitzy, like the one before because it had the weather,” said Ashley Grober sophomore CIS major. “I think it’s fine.”

Others agreed with Grober.

“It has the links I need and gets me where I need to be,” Aaron Golden freshman criminal justice said. “I think it’s more appealing to those who want to check out the school than what it used to be.”

“I think it really has easier links to stuff we use most,” said A.J. Jones, senior marketing. “I like the graphics.”

Other students were lost at first, but came to like the new site.

“Only thing is I got on it and didn’t know where to go,” said Ashley Triplet, sophomore nursing major. “I got on, and I didn’t know what to do. Now that I’m used to it I like it.”

“I think it’s very nice,” said Robert Spinks senior criminal justice. “It needed upgrading and is very nice. On the dorm computers the old homepage took forever to pop up.”

Surber also said even though the new homepage features more graphics, the newer site itself takes less time to load on computers than the older. The new site, however, no longer features the weather forecast for Joplin.

“The look is a huge improvement,” Surber said.

Anyone interested in the Web site may visit it at www.mssu.edu.

For suggestions, questions and general comments, Surber may be e-mailed at [email protected] or contacted by telephone at 625-9365.