Group discusses membership, prepares for “Friends” Fest

Meeting for its second work week of the semester, the Campus Activities Board held its 2 p.m. meeting with two goals in mind.

CAB is preparing for next week’s Healthy Relationships Week “Friends” fest, a week-long schedule of events centered around Valentine’s Day.

That’s not all that’s keeping the group busy, though. The group always has something keeping them busy.

“We feel like we’re set for our third Thursday events,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

CAB has been planning a different event for the third Thursday of every month this semester .

In February, CAB is planning a karaoke night themed, “Guitars, Tiki bars and a whole lot of fun.”

The Student Life Center will be transformed into a tropical arena for students to display their singing talents or to just hang out.

For March, CAB is having a SPIKE night, a night of sports and games in Leggett & Platt Athletic Center. Appearing during the evening will be the improv group Comedy Sports.

In April, CAB is planning another trip to the Joplin spook light followed by the film A Haunting in Connecticut, which stars ghost hunter John Zaffis. Zaffis spoke about his experience in Connecticut and about his paranormal adventures at Southern last semester.

“We want more students to come,” Blackford said. “We’re doing this for them, so we want them to be a part of it.”

All students pay a $25 activity fee, most of which goes to the budget CAB uses each semester .

Blackford wants students to know they are a member of CAB, and the Board would like to hear everyone’s ideas as to what they would like to see from CAB.

CAB will hold a meeting on Feb. 11 following grocery bingo in the Lions’ Den. The members would like more students to give their input following one of their events.

“This campus shuts down at 2 [p.m.],” said Melanie Epperson, secretary for student activities.

As far as meeting times, CAB is still discussing options for generating interest.

Students with ideas or interest in CAB are encouraged to go to the student activities office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.