Pitch-piped valentines ready to sing

Stephanie Harter, junior music major (left and Jennica Sorenson, senior music major, sing a valentine to Scott Austin, a College Heights student on Valentine´s Day 2004. The choir raised more than $1,000 last year.

file photo

Valentine’s day is just around the corner, and some students still don’t know what they’re getting for their sweetheart.

One group on campus is making waiting and buying that last minute teddy bear that will get lost in the closet or flowers that will wilt unnecessary.

The Missouri Southern Chamber Choir will once again offer singing Valentines to area residents.

“You should order a singing valentine for your sweetheart instead of chocolate because it is better for your teeth,” said Caitlin Lamar, freshman dental hygiene major.

Sarah Jones, freshman secondary education major, said a singing Valentine is a more personal gift idea than the traditional gifts.

“So many people get carried away with chocolates and gifts and jewelry, but singing is more personalized,” Jones said.

She said it was her first year doing the singing, but she is already excited and can’t wait to see the look on the face of her unsuspecting clients.

“The choir sees a lot of tears, some just from embarrassment and some just because it’s touching,” said Bud Clark, director of choral studies.

The music department is doing the singing valentines for the third year in a row. Last year the groups raised more than $1,000.

“The money is split between gas and expenses to go sing for other schools to recruit for the college, and the other half goes toward the Chamber Choir’s trip to Australia,” Clark said.

The choir will divide into about 7 quartets. The quartets will start their performances at 8 a.m. and will finish by 5 p.m. The singing valentines will be $25 per performance.

Anyone interested in having members of the Chamber Choir sing to your Valentine, contact Clark at

625-9562 before Feb. 11.