Campus organizations prepare for week-long ‘Friends’ Fest

Julie Blackford - Counselor for Student Support Center

Julie Blackford – Counselor for Student Support Center

When it comes to healthy relationships, CAB is there for Southern.

Every year, the Campus Activities Board hosts a week’s worth of events for Valentine’s Day.

“We’re hoping for a good turnout and that everyone has a good time,” said Melanie Epperson, student activities office secretary.

This year, the event will have a “Friends” theme.

“We’ve been thinking about this for a while,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

CAB, the Residence Hall Association and Student Services will be transforming the second floor lounge of the Billingsly Student Center into Monica’s kitchen, Joey’s apartment and the Southern Perk, a spoof of the TV show’s Central Perk.

Events for the week include a “Friends” trivia game show on Monday and Tuesday. Prizes for the game show are date packs. Each date pack contains a $25 gift certificate to Applebee’s, two movie tickets and candy.

On Wednesday and Thursday, “Friends” fest continues with activities including make your own Valentines, photo snow globes, coffee games and Bingo.

On Monday, students will also have a chance to get a free movie ticket, compliments of CAB. Students need only to bring their student ID to the student activities office on the second floor of the BSC. Starting at 8 a.m., anyone who presents their ID will be given one of 300 movie tickets good for any movie on Thursday night with no movie restrictions.

The Wednesday evening, a sexual aggression seminar will take place at 7 p.m. in Taylor Performing Arts Center. Speaker Todd Denny will be speaking about sexually transmitted diseases, racism, alcoholism, sexism and homophobia.

Thursday, Denny will hold workshops to train student leaders in the area of sexual aggression.

Denny uses music and activities in his seminars.

Other prizes to be given away throughout the week include “Friends” merchandise

Throughout the week, students are invited to stop by and participate in the week’s free games, prizes and coffee. Episodes of “Friends” will also be shown throughout the week.