Phone-a-thon raises money for University

Frank Tatro, freshman mathematics major, makes a call for the Foundation´s Phone-a-thon March 9.

Student helpers are working the phones in the evenings at Missouri Southern to raise money for the University at the 23rd annual Phone-a-thon.

It raises money for various departments ranging from the music department to the dental hygiene programs.

Curt Betebenner, director of the Missouri Southern Foundation, said, “During the 23rd annual Phone-a-thon, students come in and get paid to call until the end of April. Primarily, we call alumni and have a base of 8,000 [members] — about 1,000 active and 500 lapsed, and also businesses and friends of the University.”

He also said money is spread out for departmental support and scholarship money. The money is used for faculty development and for whatever the deparments decide it should be used for.

“People usually restrict it to a department, paying down bond debt on Leggett & Platt and, if it goes well, phone program will bring in 10 percent,” Betebenner said. “An accurate figure is Phone programs brings in five to 10 percent of total annual contributions or $100,000 to the total budget of one to two million.”

Student helpers play a key role in soliciting donations working the phones.

Laura Scott, senior dental hygiene and health science major, works at the Phone-a-thon during the day and also in the evenings.

“Fund-raising is going really well,” she said. “Several students from last year are working and pretty much know what to say to alumni. Alumni are sent a letter asking for support.”

Scott said there is a specific order for the caller’s conversation.

“We ask if they received the letter and that starts our conversation with them,” Scott said. “The fund-raising is going well, and it just started. The goal is $100,000. When calling non-donors and donors they try to bond with them and ask if they enjoyed going to school here and et cetera. We call people who have donated in the past and ask if they are willing to donate.”

She said the people the students call are open to the Phone-a-thon.

“They realize we are genuine and we’re not solicitors,” Scott said. “We are more likely to receive a donation. We take notes on calls if the person has passed away or moved. It’s a good way to keep in touch with alumni.”

The fund-raising started on Feb. 28 and runs every Mondays through Thursday 5:30-8:30 p.m. and on Sundays 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. until May 1.

The student helpers sometimes return from previous Phone-a-thons to work the Phones. This helps because the student helpers don’t have to train the helpers who have worked in previous Phone-a-thons.