Parking on Senate mind

Senior senator Brandon Busick (left) discusses his proposal for using faculty and visitor parking spots for metered parking near the Spiva Library and other locaions on campus.

No organizations which submitted allocation requests made an appearance at the March 9 Student Senate Finance Committee meeting.

Since no representatives showed, the allocations could not be met.

This did allow time, however, for the Spanish Club to make a request.

Senior senator Jimmy Noriega represented the club and asked for help in paying the $2,250 bill.

The finance committee did hear the request and recommended $1,000. The Senate approved the allocation.

Senate also heard from senior senator Brandon Busick with his Traffic Appeals Committee report.

Busick recommended placing parking meters in visitor parking spots and unused faculty parking spots on International Drive and near Hearnes Hall and Spiva Library.

“Everyone is going to want to be there,” Busick said.

He said the students would have more convenient places to park to return books, and the meters would raise revenue for Missouri Southern.

“There’s enough spots in our main lot that faculty and staff do not utilize,” Busick said.

Senate would have to pass a resolution supporting the idea in order for it to pass on to a student-faculty vote. Busick said if he could get the students involved, his proposal would have more weight on the faculty’s decision. He suggested a petition to spread across campus. He also said other campuses in the state offered metered parking in similar areas.

“The University will want to keep up with other universities,” Busick said.

“It’s a convenience for the students,” he said.

Senate president Eric Ducommun said he approved of the idea and told Busick to bring his work to the next Senate meeting.

Also, during the meeting, it was announced the disc-golf course had been installed and should be ready for use by next week.

Students may bring their own discs or borrow discs from the Outdoor Recreation office.

A permanent check-out office will be discussed and created as soon as students begin playing.

Adam Griffin, Senate adviser, said the meeting ran smoothly.

Senate adviser Josh Doak also reminded senators to begin thinking about applying for Senate offices.

The meeting adjourned after 12 minutes.

Senate opened its meeting with $12,480 and ended with $11,480.