Sociologist discusses cultural reasons for HIV/AIDS epidemic in Africa

Shedding light on what continues to be a dangerous epidemic, Dr. Millicent DeBose, social scientist, spoke to Missouri Southern students and faculty in Webster Hall on March 3, about the AIDS/HIV pandemic in Swaziland, Africa.

Her talk was titled “The Sociology of Multiple-Sex-Contexts in Southern Africa: A Challenge for Programs Addressing HIV/AIDS in ‘Non-High Risk’ Population Groups.”

DeBose addressed students about the issues of social stigmas along with communication and education about AIDS.

Some of the risk factors DeBose shared with the audience included extramarital affairs, prostitution, polygamy, wife inheritance and even lack of male circumcision.

The CIA’s World Factbook online states Swaziland recently surpassed Botswana as the country with the highest HIV/AIDS rate in the world.

Two of DeBose’s lessons included “Subcultures of Sexuality in Swaziland” and “The Phenomenon of ‘Tinganwa’ (celebrations in the field of sexuality),” in which she discussed the system of polygamy and the men who women are more likely to make themselves available to, thus increasing the HIV/AIDS rate.

“Women had to be socialized into accepting that they had to share a man,” DeBose said.

Also, just like some countries, DeBose pointed out men in Swaziland who are successful and possess certain social qualities are often celebrated, making them more

attractive to women.

What DeBose wanted everyone to understand is HIV is not a race issue, and it has nothing to do with living in a “strange” area. She said the difference between Swaziland and the United States is the accessibility of helpful means.

“The government, ideologies and resources are different,” she said.

DeBose said the lack of education about the AIDS pandemic makes it an even worse issue.

DeBose said it is almost taboo to talk about HIV/AIDS in Swaziland because of misconceptions about those infected.

She said the indiscriminate use of the concepts of prostitution and promiscuity when trying to bring awareness to the issue causes ordinary people to not seek help.

“When you put labels on people, they don’t want your help,” DeBose said.

“I can’t trust you if you judge me.”

DeBose said there needs to be more leadership and more institutions to help AIDS victims.

Dr. Nii Adote Abrahams, professor of finance, economics and international business, said he thought it was important for students and faculty to hear DeBose speak because while people do not talk about the virus, people need to get some recognition and education about what is going on in other parts of the world.

Dr. Barry Brown, professor of English and philosophy, said he thought DeBose’s presentation was interesting and hoped the students present would understand the HIV/AIDS virus is still a

troubling problem.

“I thought she gave a good explanation of why HIV is so prevalent in South Africa,” he said.

Brown said HIV in Africa is something with which everyone should be concerned.

“To us, it’s a chronic disease we can live with. To them, it’s a death sentence,” he said.

Not only having dealt with the HIV/AIDS virus on an educational level, the issue has hit home for DeBose, who has lost family members to the disease. DeBose has also worked as a consultant in the United States with local private firms dealing with preventative health issues in the field of substance abuse and with other programs deal with the HIV/AIDS issues in developing countries.