Softball team wins majority of games

There are many ways to say winner, such as “champion,” “victor,” “vanquisher” and, now, “Missouri Southern’s softball team.”

In the past week, the Lions have won five out of six games.

On Feb. 25 and 26, the women’s softball team competed four times in the Henderson State Tournament in Arkadelphia, Ark.

They battled first against the Henderson State University Reddies and won 6-0.

In the first inning, Southern made four hits and sent two players towards home plate. The first player home would be Trish Masters, junior center fielder, as Erin Gfeller, sophomore left fielder, reached third base. The second point was scored when Gfeller stole home as Jamie Blalock, freshman second baseman, stole second base.

The Lions’ big inning would be in the fifth as Mary Barrow, senior catcher, was able to hit a homer. With the homer launched, Shari Gates, sophomore designated hitter, and Alese Woolard, senior shortstop, headed for home as well.

“I was excited about the way the girls played,” said Jennifer Jimerson, head softball coach, “They hit the ball well.”

With 63 people in attendance, Southern would compete against Southern Arkansas University for their second game that day.

The Lions started out strong, scoring two runs in the first inning.

The first run was once again by Masters, and Woolard would take the second point after Barrow singled up the middle.

The majority of Southern’s points would be attained in the fourth inning as the ladies scored three runs.

Woolard unleashed a homer, and Blalock and Gates would be able to score as J.T. Taylor, freshman right fielder, doubled to left center.

The Lions’ next game would be on Feb. 26, against University of Central Arkansas.

They would suffer defeat, ending the score 3-1.

Southern’s fourth game would be the closest they would play.

In a game against Ouachita Baptist University, the Lions won with a score of 6-5.

Southern began the first inning as Masters and Woolard scored after Blalock sent the ball to center field. At the top of the third inning, OBU scored four of their runs. However, the Lions came back as they hit two more runs and led for the rest of the game.

“Overall, we played strong defense,” Jimerson said, “Our infield and outfield are playing very well.”

On March 2, the Lions faced off with the Southwest Baptist University Bearcats for two games.

For game one, the Lions ended the game with a score of 5-1.

Although SBU started off the game at the bottom of the first inning ahead of Southern, they wouldn’t be able to hold off the Lions as they roared back at the last minute.

The Lions had only scored one run, which was in the fourth inning, until they came back fighting in the final inning, when they scored four runs. With the bases loaded, Woolard answered the Bearcats with a homer, sending all of the players home.

In game two against SBU, the Southern Lions won the game 9-3.

The Southern softball team will be playing next on March 5-6 at the Missouri Western Tournament in St. Joseph.

The Lions’ overall record is currently 8-4.