CAB considers Dynamite fall semester entertainment options

Now in the final stages of its spring planning, Missouri Southern’s Campus Activities Board is making plans for the fall semester.

For years, CAB has tried to bring different forms of entertainment to Southern that appeal to students.

“The problem is we either get people on the rise or people on their way down,” said Julie Blackford, director of student activities.

But, with luck and timing, CAB may have an idea that will appeal to students.

CAB is working on negotiations with actor Jon Heder. Heder, made famous from his lead role in Napoleon Dynamite, would make a presentation to Southern about filmmaking, speak about his career and answer questions from the audience.

“We finally got someone on the rise,” said Melanie Epperson, secretary for the student activities office.

Epperson has been working on negotiations with Heder’s agent. No final plans have yet been made.

CAB spent some of its April 13 meeting discussing the possibility of bring Heder to campus.

“Based on the students here, I think it would be a big deal,” said Jason Givens, senior CIS major.

Five students were at the brief meeting. The general idea of CAB members was Heder would bring a large response by both students and members of the community.

CAB is interested in the student’s opinion. Interest should be directed to the Student Activities Office on the second floor of the Billingsly Student Center.

The rest of the meeting was devoted to the planning of Finals Madness, which will take place at 8 p.m. May 4.

The event will include a rock wall, laser tag, a club night with a DJ and lasers and sand volleyball. CAB will also distribute free T-shirts and food trays of fruit, pizza and pulled pork.

Other ideas were a Velcro wall, giant twister and sumo wrestling.

Other games and crafts will also be available.

A scary movie night is still planned for the night of April 28. CAB will show White Noise, followed by a trip to the Joplin Spooklight. So far, 22 students have signed up to take the Spooklight trip. Limited seating is available.

“We know people have been busy,” Epperson said.

She said students who bring their ideas by the office during the week are a great help to CAB, even though they don’t come to the weekly meetings.

Anyone with ideas or interest in CAB is invited to attend their weekly meetings at 2 p.m. on Wednesdays in the Student Activities Office.